Monday, January 3, 2011

Chains

I finally finished Cry to Heaven.   Still not sure if I liked it or not. 

I'm about halfway through Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson.   This is a YA novel set in 1776 in New York.  A young slave is trying to thwart a planned assassination of Washington.  What's interesting is that her motivation is totally non-political, she is merely working for the freedom of her sister and herself.  Without ruining the story, the true chains that bind her are not the chains of slavery, but the chains of dedication to her family. 

I suppose looking back that Cry to Heaven was really about the same thing.  Chains.  In this story, the chains were to vengeance.  Tonio's dedication to vengeance got in the way of his dreams and potential happiness.

Investigating my personal chains....

No comments:

Post a Comment