Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Come With Me

Day 8 of StoryADay September
The Prompt:

Write a short story of conflict between two people, protagonist and antagonist.


Jared slid into the seat across from Lynn. “Come to the carnival with me.”

Lynn lifted her eyes from the book she was reading for a fraction of a second, shaking her head sharply from side to side before returning her eyes to the text.

“Lynn. Hello?” Jared tapped her foot under the table with his.

“No,” Lynn replied without looking up this time.

Jared’s hand splayed across the page. “Come on. Please?”

Lynn sighed, then lifted his hand from the book. Jared didn’t give her much resistance. Lynn turned the page.

“There’s a Ferris wheel. And one of those Zipper things.” Jared tried again.

“I said no,” Lynn was forceful enough with this answer to prompt hissing “Shhhhs” from people around them. Lynn’s eyes darted from person to person, avoiding only Jared. “No,” she whispered.

Jared moved around the table, taking the seat to Lynn’s left. “Why don’t you want to go? It’ll be fun. I want to have fun.”

“Jared, I don’t have time for this,” Lynn closed the book and grabbed another from the dozen spread on the table in front of her.

“There’s always time for love.”

Lynn’s eyes lifted to Jared’s. “Well, that’s easy. I don’t love you.”

Jared recoiled from the words as if Lynn had reached out and slapped him. Lynn pulled in a sharp breath, “Not like that anyway.”

“If you don’t love me, why are you doing this?”

“Because I loved your brother.” Jared looked away, his hand rubbing his bald head out of habit. “Because I can’t watch you go through the same thing.”

“It’s gonna happen. Which is why I want to go have fun.” Jared closed the book in front of Lynn. “How will this help, anyway? Wouldn’t you be able to find more information faster on the internet?”

“You need a miracle, Jared. I’m not going to find a miracle on the internet.”

“You think you’ll find one here?”

Lynn looked away, her gaze drifting to the darkening sky outside. “I can hope.”

Jared’s gaze followed hers. “I think we’re more likely to find a miracle out there, under the stars.”

There was a long silence as they both contemplated the world outside the window.

Jared pushed back his chair, holding out a hand to Lynn. “Come with me? Help me find the magic moment?”

Lynn placed her hand softly in his. Jared tightened his grip, pulling Lynn to her feet and out into the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment