Friday, July 15, 2011

Howards end

I know, I know, it's been awhile since my last post.  I've been reading, I swear.  Just veeerrry slooooowly.

I had to force myself to crawl through E M Forster's Howards End.  I had a really hard time getting into this novel.  Part of the problem was that it was written in 1910 and set in England.  I really have no point of reference.  The story centered around a woman with enough money that she had the time to worry about other people and their money.  Again, no point of reference.

The story also moved very slowly.  A lot of conversations about things that may or may not happen.  Not a lot of action (despite two deaths in the course of the book).  Then again, this book is more about the issue (should the rich help the poor?) than a story.

This book was made into a movie (which I haven't seen).  I find myself very curious how they found enough story here to support a feature-length film.  I may have to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment