Monday, March 21, 2011

The rock from mars

A couple of weeks ago a friend sent me a link: Evidence of Alien Life.  I read the article and was left highly sceptical that this was reliable evidence for ET.  Then, by total chance, The Rock From Mars by Kathy Sawyer came up in my library pile. 

By the time I started reading the book, I had forgotten the name of the scientist quoted in the article.  But it crossed my mind that this book was covering the same "amazing find."  So I approached the book with great reservation.

At the end of the book, I was not totally convinced that scientists had discovered proof of life in this Martian rock.  But I couldn't rule it out, either.  I find myself open to the possibility. 

So I reread the article.  Not the same scientist.  (Although both "discoveries" were made by NASA researchers.)  The big kicker: the Martian rock evidence was published in Science- a peer-reviewed and reputable journal.  The new evidence was published in Cosmology- of doubtful scientific reliability. 

The bottom line is that I still don't know if Martians exist.  I will wait for a visit from the little green men.

No comments:

Post a Comment