Monday, November 21, 2016

#NaNoWriMo Week 3 AKA The Pit of Despair

Hello, my name is Susan. It is the end of week 3 of NaNoWriMo and I hate my novel.

Okay, that’s not really true. I don’t HATE it. But we are in the super awkward, I don’t want to write you anymore, but I committed to you, so I am forced to spend time with you, phase.

I am mostly sure this novel is going to be buried in a trunk of despair on December 1st. I will take that trunk to a lake and drop it in, even if it means drilling through a layer of ice to get to the water.

*Takes a deep breath. Blows it out. Regroups.*

This is my battle every day at this point. I want to quit. But I don’t quit easily. I am convinced this novel is one I will not revise. But I can’t actually know for sure until I finish the dang thing and give it at least a month away from my brain to rest.

So I plod on.

I remind myself that even if this novel goes nowhere, I have learned a lot about my writing process and how to make it better. (I’ll talk about that stuff next week, hopefully after I have hit 50,000 words).

While my ranty bits here probably make it sound like I am far behind, I actually am not. I am still running roughly right on track to get to 50,000 by the end of the month:

 




Psst. Sometimes art is hard. Do it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment