Monday, November 14, 2016

#NaNoWriMo Week 2

It is the end of week 2 of NaNoWriMo! I am still alive. It has been a rough week.

I had a lot of words here about the events of the week and how they have impacted me. But I realized that is not what this post wants to be. So read these words by Chuck Wendig if you are so inclined. Then go forth and ART HARDER!

So the week in writing:

















I am roughly on track.

I am struggling with my perceived level of craptitude of what I’m writing. I fear it may be garbage. I keep writing anyway.

Here’s the thing. This is the third novel I have written. The first two were YA with fantasy/ paranormal elements. This novel is adult. It is grounded firmly in reality. It is a thriller.

And it’s quiet. Perhaps too quiet. I realized that most of the story I have written so far (and most of what I have outlined to write in future days) is dialogue heavy. There is not a lot of action in my story. No big car chases, fist fights, or the like. The story is really about a relationship and how it changes one of my characters.

I thought this was a huge problem. Then this weekend I read The Girl on the Train. And while I don’t think my novel is amazing, I do feel better. The Girl on the Train is also very quiet. It is focused on the thoughts and relationships of a woman (three, actually). Until the last tenth-ish of the novel, it is dialogue and internal monologue heavy. Then the shit hits the fan.

I am still concerned about the overall tone and style of my current project, though. While my writing this month is different than when I write YA, I am worried that it isn’t adult enough (whatever that means). I may learn that I am better suited to writing YA than I am to writing adult.

That was one of the reasons I chose this project for NaNo. While I have moved past questioning if I should be a writer, I am still not sure if I am writing the right thing.

This project will help me figure that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment