Monday, July 27, 2015

Ignite

Let me start with how I ended up reading this book.

I am attending CampNaNoWriMo (I'll have more to say about that next week). The WordNerds have been providing short videos to campers. The WordNerds are a group of six women who write. The videos they post talk about writing, publication, and books in general. I like them. They have good things to say, but more importantly, they seem like people that I would like in real life. Which makes me want to read the things they write.

So I hunted down Erica Crouch's first book. Erica is a young author (early 20s), so this book is a snapshot of the birth of a writing career. I have been known to read the complete works of an author, in chronological order. I like to watch an author grow. To watch them develop their voice and style through the stories they tell. I like to think that watching this growth and development will benefit my own writing. After reading this early book of Erica's, I am very interested to see where she goes.

The story she tells in this book is an interesting one. The basic question revolves around polarity. We live in a polar society: black vs. white, light vs. dark, right vs. wrong, good vs. evil. In a world where the majority tie themselves to a pole, what do you do when you realize you can't? What do you do when you realize you can't choose between good and evil? This book does not answer this question, but it is book one of a trilogy. I will be reading the rest of the story to see where Erica takes this!

No comments:

Post a Comment