Saturday, May 7, 2016

Debris

Day 7 of StoryADay May.
The Prompt: Write a story containing only dialogue.

F: Uggghh. It’s hot.
M: I don’t think it’s that bad. We’ve got some shade from the tree. Maybe you’re running a fever?
F: Why would I have a fever?
M: Your leg.
F: Huh? It’s broken. Why would that give me a fever?
M: Infection.
F: With what?
M: The bone broke through the skin. Look at it. Anything could in there. Start multiplying.
F: Ew.
M: Even if you don’t have a fever and infection now, I bet it’s just a matter of time.
F: Really?
M: Yep.
F: How do we fix it?
M: Standard treatment is antibiotics.
F: Do you have that?
M: No. I’m on vacation. And I’m a plumber. Why would I carry antibiotics?
F: I don’t know.
M: Nah.
F: What?
M: I just had a thought. Probably a bad one.
F: Something to fix my leg?
M: Kind of.
F: What?
M: I don’t think you’re going to like it.
F: Tell me. I’ll do anything. I don’t want it to get infected.
M: We could cut it off.
F: Cut it off?!
M: Just a thought. I told you you wouldn’t like it.
F: How would that fix anything?
M: If you don’t have the leg, it can’t get infected.
F: But it’s my leg.
M: You won’t need it if it gets infected. The infection would eventually get into your blood. You’d die.
F: How could we even cut it off?
M: I’m sure I could find a sharp piece of metal in the pile of debris. I could make something work.
F: Wait. If you cut my leg off, I’d bleed. A lot. I would bleed to death.
M: I could use my belt as a tourniquet. It would slow the bleeding. Maybe enough to keep you alive.
F: Maybe??
M: Maybe. I can’t say for sure how it would go. I just know it might be your only chance.
F: I don’t know. I don’t think it’s a good idea.

Silence.

F: Hey. Do you have anything to eat?
M: I had some jerky in my bag.
F: Can I have some?
M: My bag flew out of the plane when it ripped open.
F: Damn. I’m hungry.
M: So am I.
F: How long can people survive without food?
M: I’m not sure. A few weeks I think. On average. But you, you’re fighting an infection, trying to heal a broken leg. I don’t know if you’ll last that long.

Silence.

M: I really think we should cut off your leg.
F: I told you, I don’t think it’s a good idea.
M: Listen. It’s a liability right now. An opening for infection. If I cut it off, and you survive, you lose that liability. You have a better chance. Plus, we could roast the meat.
F: What meat?
M: Your leg. Human legs have tons of muscle. Protein.
F: You want to eat my leg?
M: If it keeps me alive? Sure.
F: What do you think it tastes like?
M: You specifically?
F: No. Human “meat.”
M: Probably like jerky.
F: Would you share it with me?
M: If you survive.
F: I wish we had some salt.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. This was so serious, but I also found it hilarious. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete